Every motor vehicle needs a wash. We’ve all been there – our car gets covered in dirt, mud, and dust, which requires us to take it for a wash. Car washes offer a convenient solution for cleaning both the interiors and exteriors of our vehicles.
In the early 20th century, before the dawn of modern technology and conveniences, manpower was used to push the car through the car washing process. Eventually, in 1946, this manual car wash gave way to the semi-automatic car wash system. Finally, in 1951, the first fully-automated car wash opened. From 1960-1970, there was significant growth in the car wash industry, and in 1980, the Adjust-O-Matic car wash was created, which automatically adjusted the wash to the length of the vehicle.
Types of car washes
There are several different types of car washes, which meet different needs.
- Car wash lift and hand wash – Cars are placed in a lift and then washed by employees.
- Self-service facility – Coin-operated facilities where the washing is done by the customer. This is one of the oldest forms of car washes.
- In-bay automatics – An automatic washing machine and dryer rolls back and forth over the car.
- Automatic or Tunnel washes – This is the most common type of car wash, consisting of a conveyor that moves the car through a series of fixed cleaning mechanisms.
- Chemical or waterless wash – An eco-friendly wash where chemicals are used to wash and polish the car; this type of wash is recommended only for cars with light dirt.
- Steam wash – A low-investment wash which involves detergent injection or uses a jet of steam for cleaning.
- Auto detail shops wash – A professional washer cleans both the interior and exterior of the car by hand.
Opening a car wash business
Opening a car wash can be a lot of fun. However, it also requires a lot of money, planning, and attention to detail.
Plan your car wash
- Research the details of opening a car wash business
- Choose a location, and investigate the competition in your area
- Create a detailed plan
- Find the required capital
Opening your car wash
- Obtain any required licenses
- Buy reliable car wash equipment
- Market your car wash
- Hire the best employees to provide superior customer service
- Host a grand opening
Running the business profitably
- Add custom services to reach a larger clientele
- Increase customer contacts through successful marketing campaigns
- Give discounts and monthly passes to boost repeat visits
- Set up a loyalty program to reward your regular customers
Equipment – Below are the minimum requirements for opening a car wash business:
- Washing system
- Dryers and blowers
- Brushes and towels
- Water system
- Payment system
If you are someone with little or no previous business experience, a car wash business can be a suitable option if you do your research ahead of time. A detailed plan, combined with quality equipment and superior customer service, can help you run a successful car wash business.
For more information about Aqua Bio and how our systems are designed to save you and your car wash a ton of money by reusing 100% of the water collected contact us today.
877.881.9141 | firstname.lastname@example.org | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter.